Story Editing Workshop (September 21)
Events / Workshops
Turning Raw Tape Into TV Gold
A workshop for producers, writers… anyone interested in knowing more about the story editing process. Join Cheryl Binning, showrunner of Discovery Channel’s Jade Fever and History Channel’s Yukon Gold, for an intensive one-day workshop on story editing for factual and documentary television.
Learn about the pivotal role story editors play working with video editors to find the strongest moments in footage, shape the story, structure episodes, and elevate the material. Learn practical tips and techniques that will take you from the basics of the job to maximizing your collaborative relationship with your editor, creating strong scenes, developing character arcs, narration writing and world building.
Topics to be covered include:
- What’s a story editor and what is their role?
- How the process differs between lifestyle series, episodic docu-series, serialized occu-docs and other formats, and how that impacts the story editing process.
- Viewing footage and making string outs of key moments.
- Structuring an episode – A, B, and C stories.
- The building blocks of a scene – actuality, On the Fly interviews (shot in the moment in the field) and sit-down interviews.
- Building conflict, drama and tension into a scene.
- Character arcs and character development over an episode and a season.
- Writing narration.
- Collaborating with a video editor.
Cheryl Binning is a Vancouver-based showrunner, producer and writer working in factual and documentary television. She is the showrunner of season 5 and 6 of the Discovery series Jade Fever, and season 5 of History’s Yukon Gold. Cheryl has also worked as a senior story editor on Yukon Gold and Klondike Trappers (History US and History Canada), the true crime series Very Bad Men (Investigation Discovery), and story edited numerous episodes of Discovery’s long-running series Highway Thru Hell. She has also written episodes of numerous other lifestyle and factual shows including The Cupcake Girls (W Network) Million Dollar Neighborhood (Own), Dussault Inc. (CityTV) and Confessions: Animal Hoarding (Animal Planet).
When: Saturday Sept. 21 (10am-4pm)
Where: Regina Soundstage
More Details and Register Here